Monday, January 11, 2010

Research Findings, musings and sharing commences:


My head just keeps getting more full. Information overload; I believe I am at maximum capacity. Last night I searched the internet for several hours hunting for professional articles around the issue of blogging or media techonology and education. Some frustratin occured when some sights I had hoped to open were tagged as not found, or whatever terminology they use that puts a dead end to that hopeful connection. I did discover a number of links that often got me "off task" or "on task" depending on how you interpret the process. It is somewhat of a scavenger hunt, isn't it?

From Joomla; Creative Classrooms on line they provided several sites (blogs or websites?) that can be used in education to support online classrooms. Most of these were in connection with the arts (yeah celebrating those portions of our brain; check out the link in Nancy's blog). Here are some of those sites:



I know that we are supposed to practice "linking" them here, but I was having no success and gave up when I got over frustrated. I will keep working on adding those gadets and hopefully they will be part of my blog next time.



*http://ology.amnh.org This site offers interactive and friendly information pages for kids

*www.nga.gov/kids/kids.htm This site of the National Gallery of Art allows viewers to tour
some of their exhibits and also has project ideas for kids


*www.carnegiemuseums.org/cmnh The American Indian mineral and gem and Jurassic fossil
exhibits are available for viewing at this site.


In an article from The Journal: Transforming Education through Techonoly, July 2009, an article by Ruth Reynard talks about how blogging allows for more constant contact with students beyond the Mon-Fri, 8-5 access that kids and parents would have. This calls, however for consistent attention by instructors to making their blogs interesting and meaningful for its intended audience.

http://thejournal.com/Articles/2009/07/15/Beyond-Social-Networking-Building-Toward-Learning-Communities.aspx?Page=1



Throughout my reading of several other articles and magazines other points to ponder included:



the deabte of whether this techonology is widening the gap in educational choices between schools with money and those that do not (private vs. public; where in their our more affluent public schools and many public schools who have extremely limited resources both on site and for students at home to tap into this educational tool. While blogs are a relatively "free" resource, it assumes that all people have equal access.



There is no denial that explosion of this media technology and form of communication is upon us. According to Diana Schaffhauser, 11/2009, in the last six months twitter usage has increased by 250% and facebook by 192% with blogging and widi editing by a factor of 39. She reports these figures from a research project done by firewall vendor Palo Alto Networks.



So..... for better or worse, these forms of information sharing, communicating etc. are rapidly spreading, an epidemic of sorts. Something new will be out next year, and the next and the next. The imaginations of those that create these tools continue to push the envelope in search of the best, fastest, most effective way to communicate with our neighbors whether next door of thousands of miles away. As educators, we cannot ignore the importance of these tools and need to learn as much as we can. This last comment I say especially for myself as I have avoided this for far too long. I am on a quest to CHANGE my ways.

Last but not least; I had promised in class to provide the blog address of the teacher I am working with at my job. Here it is:

http://mscouch.blogspot.com

Happy Blogging!

6 comments:

  1. Seems like your research provided concrete evidence to what the kids are saying "technology is here to stay". Guess I better get on the band wagon too and at least learn what they are all talking about. So I too am in the market of change. I too must learn to put my thoughts on paper and get with the program. I say on paper really meaning in written form. I have always hated that. I have always enjoyed the face to face conversations where I could watch how my partner was reacting to what I was saying. That may be becoming a thing of the past. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is room for both. Like in "most cases" all things in moderation. It is the extremeists that tend to appear imbalanced or in danger of denying their needs of a different kind.If one is to only communicate through the internet they will be lacking in some social graces and the human component of relationships. If someone is less confident about their speaking or writing skills they can practice on line, gain more confidence and then perhaps feel more open to joining in on face to face opportunities. So much to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our role is not on the band wagon, we need to grab the baton and lead the parade. The the band is playing "Yankee Doodle Dandy" or "I Dreamed a Dream," we need to lead to improve the song. We don't need to know how to play each or any instrument, we must just guide those who do. You don't need to use all these Internet programs, but you need to guide students through them.

    I keep wondering if we can project ahead enough to know how to teach in the future. Will there even be a school building?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my eyes it is also important to lead the children in ways to help them learn how NOT to access. Teach them their responsibility. What are the warning signs of a bad site. Do we have any idea ourselves what a red flag is on the internet? What about the add that looks exactly like a Windows pop-up warning?... and the "You have $100,000 waiting to be claimed" Even adults fall for that. Advertisers can be dangerous. ANYONE can be advertising. In the end it can lead to overexposure (like radiation= it has an exponential effect) or illness (viruses) or even safety violations (hackers and predators). How many friends do you have on the internet that you have never met or really talked to before (rhetorical question)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What Airin said about adults falling for advertisements is shockingly true. I used to work in college financial aid and once the first stimulus package was passed, there were popup ads everywhere with those dancing figures that said, "Obama will pay moms to go back to school" and things like that. Our school got so many calls from students wanting their "free money" and insisting that other schools were giving out these funds.

    I was a little surprised at the percentages on the chart in the Beyond Social Networking article. I thought they would be higher. I'm in the 25-34 age group and I figured that social networking usage would be higher. It seems like everyone in my age group (and all my friends and coworkers in the next age group) use social networking.

    Blogs can open up an after-school school, but only for families with computers and internet access. This must be very tough on teachers in areas where you have a very even blend of affluent and low-income families. A teacher can't assume students have easy access to the internet after hours. This can really change the nature of classroom assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Technology has taken away much of our free time-if we allow it to !!

    ReplyDelete