Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I am forging into this Blogging experience as a class assignment. I have decided to title my Blog: "Be an Agent of Change." This title suits what I believe this entire experience will be for me. Not only must I embrace the challenges of change (for me becoming more adept with technology), but I must be an agent for Change. Change is inevitable.

While not all changes will be accepted by others, or even in the best interest of others, the bottom line is that change will occur. Time changes all things and we cannot stop time. How we react to change makes all the difference. We can become angry and unproductive, or energized and proactive. Our life experiences change how we view the world, how we interact with others and how we feel about ourselves. This change can be subtle, or drastic. We can deny that we have changed (plastic surgery can help with that one!) and we can procrastinate the inevitable changes that are happening around us. Each generation has contributed to change in fascinating ways.

I am not from the "Gen X" group. When I went to college the first time it was a "big thing" to have an electric typewriter! Oh my, how things have CHANGED! My career(s) have evolved as life changes predicted or inspired such change. I began my professional career as a child and family therapist, ran my own childcare business for a few years then went back to school to get my Masters in Teaching. After a few temporary teaching positions and a couple years of subbing (talk about the ability to embrace change, be a substitute teacher!) I am now a teacher for a charter school that is all about change and innovation as we attempt to do what is best for kids.

So who am I? I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sisterand a friend. I am originally from Hawaii, as is my husband. We have three sons and a lab puppy (she's a girl). We love sports, going to movies and playing board games. I am an avid scrapbooker, love photography, reading and hanging out at the beach! I wish I could travel more than we do.

Please join in with your views of "change" How has change affected your life (for better or worse) and what would you change, if anything, about your life? There are many different ways to analyze change. Share your favorite poem or song as it is related to change. What changes are you hoping to make for yourself this year? What changes would you like to see in our world this year? The possibilities are endless. Lastly, how will you be an agent of Change?

I will close with a few lines from the David Bowie song Changes; one of my favorites "back in the day.
" Strange fascination, fascinating me
Changes are taking the pace I'm going through"


1 comment:

  1. Oh drat! I just lost my very thoughtful extensive comment. I should not try to do more than one thing at a time.

    I was expounding on the effects of change such as the printing press and gun powder, and how we are amid change of perhaps the same proportions but because we're so close to the change, we don't recognize it. Historians will do that in the future.

    By stepping back in time we had a chance to live through many changes in a short lifetime. In 1977 we moved to a remote community in Alaska where we lived without electricity, a phone, running water for several months and in the case of the phone, about one year. During our 15 years in Trapper Creek, we were involved in the establishment of a new school, a church, a local governance, a community newsletter, a library, a community park and cemetery, a fire department and the expansion of the ambulance service, an arts council with a theater group, and more. That even seems overwhelming to me as I reflect back. It may be a partial reason why each my wife Gail and I were awarded the Alaska Volunteer of the Year Award in different years. This gave us a clear opportunity to observe change in society, albeit a community of less than a thousand persons. We had one of the first computers in the area and I taught teachers how to use computers when computers first entered the schools.

    After returning to mainstream middle case society with a real job, we continued to see change: Windows was introduced that year. So we have gone from "no phone" and our parents probably thinking we'd fallen off the edge of the world, to emails, blogs, Skype, Facebook and more which means within minutes I can contact almost anyone anywhere in the world. No wonder my head is spinning along with the heads of many of us over 50.

    Good, bad or indifferent? Certainly it's not the same; we act differently, we react differently, we behave differently. Now how do we apply this new behavior to better teaching?

    ReplyDelete