Sunday, January 31, 2010

Reflections; Looking Back and Beyond

Deadlines have always loomed over me. I am the great procrastinator! Last to try something new, clinging onto the past. Last to complete a project, wanting to savor every moment of freedom with the false notion that I work best under pressure. Deadlines mean I need to come to a conclusion, I can not sit and contemplate any longer. They have always felt like the point of no return. But are they really?

Here is my free association to Blogging: (loosely follows some of my thoughts/emotions and reactions to all I have been introduced to in the last few weeks)

what?
computers
sterile
not for me
whats the fuss
overwhelming
fun
innovative
interesting
addicting
challenging
frustrating
complex
interactive
useful
innovative
feeling incompetent
appreciative of others words and art
endless possibilities
time consuming
love-hate fascination
excited

I truly had no idea a few weeks ago what blogging was. Heard about it, but never read one.
I feel like I am very much still in the infancy stage as a blogger. I am very dependent on those who have forged before me for information, encouragement and support. But, like an infant, my curiosity has been peeked. This "thing" has been dangled before me. I have grabbed it, pulled it closer to me to explore and taste and test out. Will I like this thing? Perhaps!

I have been very impressed by the quality of the blogs of my classmates. The artistic, creative and aesthetically pleasing features as well as the content, the links, the incredibly wonderful writing. By far, my favorite part of this experience has been the exchanges of ideas and knowledge and the fun, more lighthearted touches that some of you shared (loved the Sesame Street stuff!)

I survived the creation of my own blog; albeit very amateurish compared to others. I got lost in the exploration phase. This was the addictive phase for me. From one link to the next with so much information available and one thing just kept leading to another.

I was blown away by the amount of literature and research that has been done on this phenomena already, (oh thats' right, I am just behind the times!). And then..... there was the whole question of how it could be used in education. I have turned from skeptic to believer in the infinite possibilities it has here. I am excited to turn my marketing plan into a reality and to begin the process for building my classroom blog for book reviews. Thank you, by the way, to those of who you provided me with some clever, catchy titles for this blog! I have yet to make my decision.

My downfall, the technical skills. Adding media, connections and the gadgets and what not is where I have stalled in my quest for change. I will need a great deal more practice and patience to conquer this battle. I don't know why it is so hard for me, but it is. I will persevere, however, because I am now a believer in the blog as a fun and effective educational tool if used properly.

Thank you all for your wisdom, your support, your art, your words, your being. Each personality was present in your blog designs and blog sharing. This, in and of it itself, was testimony to me that blogging was not the impersonal world I had presumed it to be. I have changed my attitude towards blogging and as a result I will work hard to change my technical (or lack thereof) skills in blogging so that I can utilize this tool to enhance student learning.

2 comments:

  1. I think you did a nice job on your first blog! It takes time and lots of effort but it looks like you've got the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a whirlwind. Maybe it's still a tornado. Or a hurricane. It's our brief encounter with blogging. But we came out in great shape. It's a microcosm, the blogging, the pace we worked through, of the entire Internet, information, electronic, social networking system. Perhaps our survival is the best lesson of all; knowing we can tackle these mysterious unknowns and return victorious.

    Lisa, indeed you did a great job is setting up the necessary features of a blogs, adding some special features and summarizing is a very complete thoughtful way.

    I'm ready to work with you in another challenge.

    ReplyDelete